20030718: Proposed changes to the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD datastream (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I have a couple of suggestions for improving your proposed changes.

Ready...

>I am sure this is a cost issue, but the visible, IR and Water Vapor
>imagery from GOES-8 should go every 15 minutes.

The only scans available every 15 minutes are CONUS.  The sectors that
we send have significantly larger spatial coverage than CONUS, and
I would not like to see that diminished.  In fact, one of the major
reasons for the change was to extend coverage to Central and South
America.  Users have been asking for this for years.

>Personally, I wonder how
>many people still use the stuff off the UNIWISC channel for satellite
>images because through ADDE, 5 minute scans come off through NOAAport.

The 5 minute scans are only the rapid scans.  Imagery available on
NOAAPORT is great for users only interested in CONUS, but is really
useless for users who are interested in equatorial and South American
meteorology.

>Make it available for saving *and by request only*; making it mandatory
>would put some people "out of business" due to the size of the data and
>bandwidth issues.

The web page I provided a link to tried to make users understand that
they have almost total control over the volume of the products they
receive.  The only control that they don't have is in receiving
a part of an image.

>Otherwise, that's it! I personally won't use the fire products, but I more
>than bet others will.

By the way, the full suite of GOES image produts will be made available
through ADDE.  Sites hip to the benefits of remote access will be cookin!
:-)

>My $.03, adjusted for inflation.

Thanks for the input!

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Jul 21 16:05:02 2003

Hi Tom,

re: 15 minute scans are CONUS only

>Oh, I'm sorry. I meant *in addition to* the 30 minute scans, sorry.
>In other words, the two other 15 minute scans we miss because they are
>only CONUS would be under a separate product.

re: 5 minute scans are RSOs

>Right. See above...

re: reception is highly configurable

>OK.

re: access to all GOES imagery through ADDE