20030516: call

>From:  Jerrold Robaidek <address@hidden>

Hi Jerry,

>Sorry Tom .... was in the middle of trying to get the MSG server working
>and I had 4 people in my office waiting ....

No worries.

>I'll be around for a while today, or I'll be in all day Monday.

OK.  Since it is now Sunday, it is clear that I got bogged down on
Friday myself :-)

I called to ask questions about the EAST and WEST datasets that are on
unidata2 and the schedule for updating them from the SDI.

Also, I was interested in the scanning schedules for GOES-12 and the
coverage that I was seeing for the various sectors in the NH and SH
groups.  I think I answered most of my questions by comparing the
dataset members on unidata2 with ones I have access to on a SATEPS
machine.

As far as I can tell, the scanning schedule for GOES-12 is:

NHE 00:45 - 18:15  - every 30 minutes
NH  18:45 - 00:15  - every 30 minutes

SH  01:09 - 17:39  - every 30 minutes

FD  every three hours (2:45, 5:45, ..., 23:45)

The "every 30 minutes" seems to be not entirely true; it is highly
sporadic.

I also wanted to bounce an idea off of you: the utility of combining
the Northern Hemisphere/Northern Hemisphere extended scans with the
Southern Hemisphere scans.  I have been playing around this afternoon
with this and think that the results warrant continuing.  Here is what
I have done so far:

1) make copies of all bands for NH sectors into individual AREAs
   on unidata2, but extended the LINE down to southern Argentina.
   I kept the ELEMENT extent the same as in the NH extended scans.
   In the copy, I removed the ELEment oversampling and changed the
   output type to 1 byte (VISR).  The resolution of the composited
   sectors will be 1 km for VIS and 4 km for all IR bands.

2) remap the current NH scan into a copy of the copies above with
   MERGE=NO and then remap the SH scan of approx. the same time
   into this copy with MERGE=YES

The combination of the NH extended and SH scans yields a very nice
composite.  The non-extended NH + SH scans ends up having a big data
gap over the middle of Brazil.

One question I have to you is if anyone is doning this kind of N/S
sector merge (keeping the GOES projection) on a routine basis already?
I know that the global composites do more or less the same thing,
but are remapped into MERCator projection.

Got to run...