20030305: McIDAS ADDE server test request

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

>I just wanted to thank you again for your help.  For once, I don't seem to
>have any problems with McIDAS.  Looks like it works fine!!

Now, that's what I like to hear :-)

>I do have a favor to ask though.  When you have some time could you check to
>see if my ADDE server will send you data?  I don't have any restrictions on
>who can access my data, but our networking people are clamping down on what
>they will allow through the firewall and I want to make sure ADDE can get
>through.  Plus, this is one last test of McIDAS on my end too.

Sure, no problem.  On a hunch, I tried twister.millersv.edu, and
I could get to the machine.  For furture reference, this is what I do
to check things out:

1) try a telnet to the ports that McIDAS ADDE uses.  Note that this is
   not foolproof since security can be configured to not allow telnets
   on a port, but still allow other types of access.  Here is what I
   did:

% telnet twister.millersv.edu 500
Trying 166.66.44.84...
Connected to twister.millersv.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.

Getting the Connected reply tells me that something is listening on the
port.

Ditto for the McIDAS compressed port:

% telnet twister.millersv.edu 503
Trying 166.66.44.84...
Connected to twister.millersv.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.

OK, armed with these successes, I tried the access with McIDAS:

DATALOC ADD RTNEXRAD twister.millersv.edu
DSINFO I RTNEXRAD

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTNEXRAD

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
N0R           9999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 1
N0S           9999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 1
N0V           9999    Radial Velocity Tilt 1
N0Z           9999    248 nm Base Reflectifity
N1P           9999    1-hour Surface Rainfall
N1R           9999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 2
N1S           9999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 2
N1V           9999    Radial Velocity Tilt 2
N2R           9999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 3
N2S           9999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 3
N3R           9999    Base Reflectivity Tilt 4
N3S           9999    Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 4
NCR           9999    Composite Reflectivity
NET           9999    Echo Tops
NTP           9999    Storm Total Rainfall
NVL           9999    Vertical Liquid H2O

DSINFO -- done

So far, so good.  Next:

IMGLIST RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST
Image file directory listing for:RTNEXRAD/N0R
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  RADAR          5 MAR 03064  22:33:00     DIX    1
   2  RADAR          5 MAR 03064  22:33:00     LWX    1
   3  RADAR          5 MAR 03064  22:33:00     DIX    1
   4  RADAR          5 MAR 03064  22:37:00     CCX    1
   5  RADAR          5 MAR 03064  22:37:00     CCX    1
IMGLIST: done

OK, so this doesn't fail, but there is, nonetheless, something wrong.
The invocation with ID=LIST _should_ report back a list with only
one entry per radar.  This listing has two for DIX and two for CCX.
The other strange thing is that the times listed for each duplicate
are, themselves, duplicates.

This is not how the ADDE server is supposed to work, I need to
really understand your ADDE setup.  Is there a chance I could logon
as 'mcidas'?

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Mar  6 07:27:32 2003

Hi Tom,

Thanks for checking things out.

The duplicate entries for DIX and CCX actually make sense to me.  The
NNEXRAD feed uses the station ID's of CCX for State College and PHI for
Philadelphia, and that is how my pqact.conf file stores them.  However, for
historical (hysterical??) reasons that were put in place before I started
here, our Gempak programs used CCX for State College and DIX for Philly.
Being lazy, I simply soft-linked CCX with CTP and DIX with PHI in the
directory where the NNEXRAD is stored.  That's probably why McIDAS shows the
duplicate data.

Dave