20030227: cannot connect NESDIS ADDE server from Intel based McIDAS

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Hi Robert,

>I have a very strange problem.  This may be a problem on gp16.wwb.noaa.gov,
>or it may be a McIDAS issue I am nor sure.
>
>I did a dataloc.k ADD PUB gp16.wwb.noaa.gov on our Solaris Intel box
>(McIDAS2002a) and found I could not connect to the server via ADDE (trying
>dsinfo, imglist etc) put I can ping the machine.   I do the very same
>thing on SPARC machines and everything works fine.
>
>I also tested this at Universal.  Every Intel box I tried (Linux or Solaris)
>could not connect, but every SPARC box can connect, regardless of which
>McIDAS version it's running (SSEC or Unidata..7.704 or 2002).
>
>Can you test this at Unidata?  Any ideas what's going on?

I just followed your example above from our Compaq OSF/1 5.1 machine:

DATALOC ADD PUB gp16.wwb.noaa.gov
DSINFO I PUB

<nothing/hung>

I then tested to see if the ADDE ports were open:

telnet gp16.wwb.noaa.gov 500
<ok>

telnet gp16.wwb.noaa.gov 503
<nothing>

So, uncompressed transfers are evidently OK.  I tested this by changing
my compress/uncompress setting on McIDAS startup (I handle this through
my GUI startup; the user does not have to set a Unix environment variable!)
and DSINFO now works fine:

DSINFO I PUB

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: PUB

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
BREF         99999
BREF2        99999
GCSHEM04I2      10
GEFDSK01V        8
GEFDSK04I2       8

So, it looks like someone in charge of the machine should be contacted
and asked to allow ADDE transfers through port 503.

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Feb 27 11:21:28 2003
>Subject: 20030227: cannot connect NESDIS ADDE server from Intel based McIDAS

Thanks, actually I found an e-mail from Brian in my Universal box that
I had missed before that said I should turn MCCOMPRESS off..I never saw
the e-mail.

I have e-mailed him and he has put in a request to turn 503/compression
on.

Robert