20021211: Unidata-Wisconsin Mollweide composite

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

>Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak, but didn't the Mollweide
>composite used to be high res than it is now.  It seems like it looks a whole
>lot blockier than it did 2 years ago..and doing an imglist it shows a
>resolution of 52km x64km..I thought it was supposed to be a 24km res?

As far as I can tell by looking back at the Fkey and MCGUI interfaces
that have been displaying the Mollweide images in the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream, the size has always been 350x640.  Since the spatial extent
of the image hasn't changed, the resolution shouldn't have either.
(The Mollweide topography image, on the other hand, _is_ twice the
resolution, but, then again, it is 4 times the size (twice in each
dimension)).

Interestingly, however, the primary image that the broadcast image is
created from is identical to the broadcast image.  This was not always
the case.  I seem to recall that the original image used to be 4 times
the size of the broadcast one, so it is possible that the difference
you are seeing is related to how the Mollweide master is being
created.

I am willing to bet that the change in the image occurred when the old
Unidata-Wisconsin preparation machine, unidata.ssec.wisc.edu, bit the
dust at the beginning of summer 2002.  I will need to check with SSEC
to find out if this is the case.

Thanks for the keen observation!

Tom