20021030: datastream changes

National Weather Service Instruction (NWSI) 10-1704
Complementary Dissemination Services

Background Summary

C This NWSI is a compilation of relevant information from the superceded Weather Service Operations Manual (WSOM) Chapters listed below and a 10/14/1998 Jack Kelly memo, Subject: Evolving Dissemination Technologies. Information from the superceded WSOM chapters is updated to reflect current practices.

C No significant changes in instructions and procedures. We have clarified wording on some subjects and provided more specific information on telephones and other services. We wrote procedures required of NWS employees in the active voice, effectively decreasing wordiness and making it more understandable. However, to avoid confusion, automated processes were not converted to active voice.

C Supercedes the following WSOM Chapters: C-60, Radio/TV Dissemination; C-61, Telephone Dissemination; C-62, Newspaper Dissemination; C-66, Dissemination of Public Warnings; C-67, News Wire Dissemination; OML 06-78, filed with C-61, Telephone Dissemination; OML 14-79, filed with C-61, Policy on Answering Public Service Telephones; OML 2-80, filed with C-66, Agreement for Transmission of Warning Messages on NWR and NWWS Systems; and OML 2-88, filed with C-60, Routine Direct Commercial Radio Broadcasts.

________________________________
National Weather Service Instruction (NWSI) 10-1710
NOAA Weather Radio Dissemination

Background Summary

C We migrated information from Weather Service Operations Manual (WSOM) Chapter C-64, NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) Program.

C We re-wrote procedures required of NWS employees in the active voice, effectively decreasing wordiness and making it more understandable. However, to avoid confusion, automated processes were not converted to active voice. Following are more significant changes in language and content:

- Throughout the document, we changed all "short-fuse" and "short-fused" references (as in short-fused watches and warnings) to "short-duration," and similarly "long-fuse" and "long-fused" to "long-duration," to be in keeping with revised NWS nomenclature.

- Section 5.3, Unauthorized Material: we added new h. bullet, "proprietary data provided by private weather companies, unless permitted by agreement."

- Section 6, Operations for Critical Events: we changed the two sets of a., b., and c. paragraphs to a. through f., and with a new paragraph g. added, "summarize tables and lists."

- Section 7.2., Broadcast Suspension Rules; subsection 7.2.1: we simplified bureaucratic instructions about procedures for NWR shutdown and points of contact, eliminating old paragraph c. Also added a sentence to paragraph b: "If unable to resolve the problem, the WFO should coordinate with the Regional Headquarters, who will notify or coordinate with the Dissemination Services Manager, if necessary."

- Section 8, Quality Assurance; we moved old section 6.7 "Drills of broadcast Rules for Critical Events" to new section 8.2, for better content fit. Old section 8.2 now is 8.3, with
appropriate references updated.

- Section 13: now called "Customer Feedback" (vice "Customer Surveys"). All references to "survey" have been changed to "feedback".

C Supercedes WSOM Chapter C-64, NOAA Weather Radio Program; OML 4-95, filed with WSOM C-64, Ultraviolet Index (UVI) Forecasts, section 3.2; and OML 04-99, filed with WSOM C-64, Modification for AWIPS Commissioning to WSOM Chapter.