20020703: Unidata-Wisconsin Mollweide images are all the same

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi,

Even though the Mollweide images in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream
are once again being sent in the Unidata IDD, they are still not correct.

The date and time changes with each new image, but the image itself
doesn't change.  This is most easily seen by loading a loop of the
images off of any one of a number of ADDE servers hosted at Unidata
sites.  For instance, try:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES atmos.uprm.edu
DSINFO I RTIMAGES
IMGLIST RTIMAGES/MOLL-IR.ALL

IMGDISP RTIMAGES/MOLL-IR ALL=1 10 LATLON=0 0 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG;MAP
SAT 1 (GRA)'

It looks as though the job that creates the original composites is
failing, but the portion that updates the image header with the next
DAY/TIME is not.

Could someone look into this a bit?  Thanks!

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jul  3 13:48:07 2002
>To: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>
>Subject: 20020703: MCIDAS data feed: Mollweide images

>From: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>

Dave,

>Thanks for doing whatever you did to get the Mollweide composite images
>injected into the MCIDAS feed again. Unfortunately, it now appears that
>every image sent since resumption of service on Monday is identical. That
>is, the same image is sent each time, with different time/date info
>attached to it. (Our LDM is saving each image as it comes in with
>appropriate time/date, so the time/date is embedded in the AREA file,
>but the data are identical in each case.)
>
>Could you intervene again on our behalf?

I just sent off a note to SSEC asking for someone to look into this.

I apologize for not having actually looked at the images after their
transmission resumed.  I was complacent in accepting their being
new/good simply by seeing their dates/times change.  My bad!

So, where exactly are you?  Your return email is from psc.arc.nasa.gov,
not from sfsu.edu.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jul  3 14:07:12 2002
>Subject: Re: 20020703: MCIDAS data feed: Mollweide images

*> From address@hidden  Wed Jul  3 12:37:20 2002
*> To: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>
*> Subject: 20020703: MCIDAS data feed: Mollweide images
*>
*> I just sent off a note to SSEC asking for someone to look into this.

Thanks, Tom.

*> I apologize for not having actually looked at the images after their
*> transmission resumed.  I was complacent in accepting their being
*> new/good simply by seeing their dates/times change.  My bad!

Boy, you set a high standard for yourself! I wouldn't have dreamed that
they'd get the problem only half fixed, given that the other half of the
problem wasn't a problem before.

*> So, where exactly are you?  Your return email is from psc.arc.nasa.gov,
*> not from sfsu.edu.

Last summer and this summer I've been participating in the "NASA Faculty
Fellow Program", in my case at NASA-Ames in Mountain View, about 40
miles south of my house. I'm collaborating with some folks here on polar
stratospheric cloud research, which isn't even close to my field of
expertise (which is mesoscale dynamics and numerical modeling), but
that apparently didn't stop them from deciding that I might be able
to contribute something anyhow. I'm not sure about that, but they pay
pretty well so I'm not complaining--gotta pay for that basement remodel
that we've undertaken somehow!

To be honest, I'd rather be doing summer research in Boulder (in spite
of the drought and smoke), but NASA is where the opportunity has been
of late.

I'm still occasionally visiting my SFSU office this summer, so I keep
activating and deactivating ".forward" files on my SFSU and NASA email
accounts to keep the mail coming to wherever I am. I just hope that I
don't activate both .forward files at once one of these days, since each
forwards to the other!

-- Dave

>From address@hidden Wed Jul  3 16:43:30 2002
>Subject: More on MCIDAS Mollweide images

Tom,

I think that I forgot to mention that the Mollweide images archived in
SSEC's neartime directory on gold.ssec.wisc.edu since delivery service
was restored on Monday, are all the same. Hence, we can't replace the
ones we got via IDD with the archived ones.

-- Dave

*                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
*   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
*   Dept. of Geosciences               |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
*   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
*   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
*   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
*   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
*   Email:  address@hidden   |  )  )  )  ~  ~   ~ ~  *