20020420: New NEXRAD Composite Products

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

>I noticed the new N1P and NTP NEXRAD composites on pscwx.

I meant to send you a note right after I got them ingested/decoded
on pscwx, but I have been consumed trying to finalize the McIDAS
mods to support these (what is there now works, but is too hardwired).
Sorry to be silent on this.

>I set them up temporarily on
>
>       http://pscwx.plymouth.edu/mcidas_rad2.html

Look good!

>I also used the corresponding McIDAS enhancement tables.

I may either modify the enhancements for these two directly, or create
new ones that show more resolution in the lower accumulations.

>I would recommend only producing the NTP composites on a .5 hour or even
>hourly basis. The 10 files per hour for this product don't seem to add
>much new information and take up bandwidth and space.

I'll pass along your comments to Chiz and discuss the frequence of both
the NTP and N1P products.  Now that you mention it, it seems like the
N1P product should be updated half hourly, and the NTP hourly.  Please
let me know if you think otherwise for the N1P product.

The setup that Chiz has created allows him to create composites of any
of the Level III products coming across NOAAPORT.  We have discussed
routinely creating a Composite Reflectivity (NCR), Echo Tops (NET), and
VIL (NVL).  To us, it doesn't make sense to create composites of
reflectivity at any but the lowest tilt; it never makes sense to
produce any velocity composites;  the layer reflectivity composites
wouldn't make sense since the layers are not consistent from radar to
radar, etc.  Do you have any suggestions?

Tom