20020220: NEXRAD Products on pscwx

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Jim,

Sorry I couldn't respond to this one sooner...

>Last week,I finally got around to changing the directory structure of my
>NIDS data to make ADDE more responsive as we discussed in Orlando.
>Instead of keeping all 17 NIDS products for a given station in a single
>station subdirectory, I now have 17 subdirectories (1 for each NIDS
>product) under each station subdirectory. As an example, all the N2R
>data for GYX now resides in /huge/nids/GYX/N2R and so on. I'm still
>keeping a week of data on hand for all 154 NIDS sites.

This should speed up access to the data through ADDE, thanks.

>I had some ldmfeed problems from our NOAAPORT NWSTG machine last week,
>but I think that they are finally resolved-it had to do with a time
>synch issue.

Speaking of the LDM...  We are generating several composites from the
NEXRAD base reflectivity products we get in NOAAPORT and we are sending
them out as both grib messages and as images in the FNEXRAD feed:

6 km N0R National Composite (approx. every 5 minutes or so)
1 km N0R Regional Composite Floater (approx. every 5 minutes or so)
10 km RCM National Composite (grib message comes in NOAAPORT)

All of these products are modestly sized, but there are a lot of
them.

In addition, we are generating a 1 km National Composite N0R product
every 5 minutes or so.  This product is very nice, but when it
gets unpacked, it is 14 MB in size (for now; we are investigating
storing the imagery in a compressed format).

I have been setting up ADDE servers across the country to be able to
serve this data to the community.  My question to you is if you would
like me to setup ingest/decode/serving of these products on pscwx?
My plan would be to request the data using the LDM on pscwx and then
decode them, file them, setup scouring for them, and setup serving
for them in McIDAS ADDE.  I would want, of course, for you to tell
me where you would like them stored and how many you would want to
keep on line.

Along those lines, at one time you mentioned that you were willing
to be an ADDE site for METEOSAT imagery.  Does this offer still hold?
I am not nearly so eager to set this one up as the NEXRAD composites,
but, nonetheless, I would like to have a backup site for the Universite
du Montreal a Quebec.

Talk to you later...

Tom