20020215: 1 km visible and NCAR ground station

>From:  Mohan Ramamurthy <address@hidden>

Mohan,

>We are interested in receiving the 1-km GOES-8 visible data routinely (not
>a floater, but over the entire central and eastern U. S.) and I am
>wondering about the likely places from which to get that product.

Are you looking for the data in the original GOES projection?  Do you need
2-byte data?

>I know
>that there is a ground station at UCAR (which was set up David Johnson, who
>briefed the Users Committee on it many years ago).

The receive systems operated here are TeraScan systems from SeaSpace.
The output of these systems is typically 'tdf' files, a proprietary
SeaSpace format.  Can you handle 'tdf' files?  My experience is that
users typically want the imagery in either McIDAS AREA format (which
is a well known and documented format) or as some sort of a raster.

>Do you know if it is
>possible to receive this particular product on a regular basis from the
>NCAR site?

I do not know if this is possible.  I think we fully discuss
the format issues before spending time on investigating this.

>Or, is it possible to get it from SSEC?

It will be as soon as the server machine we sent there is up and running.
It is being worked on even as I write this reply.  We are planning on
making as much of the GOES (East and West) data available through ADDE
as is possible from the new server.  SSEC has already commited to being
a THREDDS site for this data, so there is no big hurdle there.  The
issue is in timing.  What is the time frame that you need the imagery?

>Who should I contact to follow up on this at NCAR?

Either Dave Johnson or, perhaps, Steve Williams of JOSS.

>Is it still David Johnson?

I think so.

>Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this.  See you all in DC
>soon.

I won't be there, but Ben and Linda will.

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Feb 15 12:15:30 2002
>Subject: Re: 20020215: 1 km visible and NCAR ground station
>Cc: address@hidden, Ben Domenico <address@hidden>,
>   Linda Miller <address@hidden>, address@hidden

Tom,

Many thanks for a quick response.  We don't have the capability to handle
the proprietary tdf files here, so our best bet would be wait for the ADDE
server to be set up at SSEC.  Plus, we are not in any great rush to start
receiving the 1-km product immediately, so we will wait for the
SSEC/Unidata ADDE server to be ready.  Please keep us informed when that
server is available for testing and deployment.

Mohan