20020208: lightning data for a British student's dissertation

>From: "Edward Evans" <address@hidden>

Edward,

>My name is Edward Evans and I am in my last year at Oxford Brookes
>University in the Uk, where I am studying phsical geography. In my last
>year i am required to undertake a dissertation on a subject of my
>choice. I spent six months last year in Florida where i became very
>interested in the amount of lightning the state had. I am currently
>investigating the relationship between meteorological and synoptic
>conditions and the resulting number of lightning strikes. I currently
>have data for daily totals for the years 1999 and 2001. What i really
>need to get my hands on is daily lightning strike data for May -
>October for 1999 and 2001 for Tampa and Miami. This would allow to make
>some spatial distinction within the state.

>If it is possible for your
>organisation to provide me with the data for these two years (12 monts
>in total) for Tampa and Miami then that would be greatly appreciated.
>This data is soley for my own use and in no ways would be used for
>financial gain.

We are unable to provide you with this data for a couple of different
reasons:

o we do not archive data, so we have no store to draw on for historical
  studies

o the agreement with the provider of the NLDN lightning data, Global
  Atmospherics, Inc., precludes the redistribution of the data regardless
  of use

It may be possible for you to get the data you need directly from
Global Atmospherics, Inc.  I don't have an email address for them, but
their web site is:

http://www.LightningStorm.com

I am sorry we can't be of more help.

>Yours Sincerely