Re: 20020122: [Fwd: Re: NCEP Quarterly Backup Test] (fwd) (fwd)

FYI--

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Friday, January 25, 2002 8:33 AM -0500
From: Geoff Dimego <address@hidden>
To: David Ovens <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20020122: [Fwd: Re: NCEP Quarterly Backup Test] (fwd)

David;

I understand your problem, but the only way for our systems
folks to test the backup 'in its entirety' is to do these
darned quarterly tests.  I am looking into a way to get the
grid 104 GRBGRD files made from the AFWA backup run but that
processing is done in Silver Spring - not at NCEP.

David Ovens wrote:

Linda and Geoff,

Our real-time MM5 simulations suffer significant delays every time one
of these backup tests occur.  In the end, I have to use a completely
different model to initialize our forecasts.  I have just checked the
referenced web site, but I cannot now determine, nor have I been able
in the past to determine, how to retrieve the proper backup grids.

We use the ETA 104 grids for our forecasts and we look at the
NMC2/CONDUIT feed and on tgftp.nws.noaa.gov in:
 /SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.eta_CY.12/RD.20020123/PT.grid_DF.gr1/
with files:
   fh.0000_tl.press_gr.grbgrd
through
   fh.0060_tl.press_gr.grbgrd

If either of you can point me to where backup ETA 104 grids produced
by AFWA can be found, that would be very helpful.

Sincerely,

David
--
David Ovens             e-mail: address@hidden
(206) 685-8108          plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for Pacific Northwest

Linda Miller wrote:

> [...]

Linda Miller - address@hidden
External Liaison, Unidata
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000
303 497-8646 fax: 303-497-8690
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:33:37 -0500
David;

David Ovens wrote:

> Linda and Geoff,
>
> Our real-time MM5 simulations suffer significant delays every time one
> of these backup tests occur.  In the end, I have to use a completely
> different model to initialize our forecasts.  I have just checked the
> referenced web site, but I cannot now determine, nor have I been able
> in the past to determine, how to retrieve the proper backup grids.
>
> We use the ETA 104 grids for our forecasts and we look at the
> NMC2/CONDUIT feed and on tgftp.nws.noaa.gov in:
>  /SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.eta_CY.12/RD.20020123/PT.grid_DF.gr1/
> with files:
>    fh.0000_tl.press_gr.grbgrd
> through
>    fh.0060_tl.press_gr.grbgrd
>
> If either of you can point me to where backup ETA 104 grids produced
> by AFWA can be found, that would be very helpful.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> David
> --
> David Ovens             e-mail: address@hidden
> (206) 685-8108          plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for Pacific Northwest
> Research Meteorologist
> Dept of Atmospheric Sciences, Box 351640
> University of Washington
> Seattle, WA  98195
>
> Linda Miller wrote:

begin:vcard
n:DiMego;Geoff
tel;fax:301-763-8545
tel;home:410-451-3437
tel;work:310-763-8000 ext 7221
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:DOC/NOAA/NWS;NWS/NCEP/EMC
version:2.1
email;internet:address@hidden
title:Chief, Mesoscale Modeling Branch
adr;quoted-printable:;;NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC=0D=0AW/NP22 5200 Auth Rd., Rm
205;Suitland;MD;20746-4304;USA
fn:Geoff DiMego
end:vcard

--- End Message ---