20020109: [Fwd: 20011128: McIDAS AREA files (fwd)]

>From: dan braithwaite <address@hidden>

Dan,

>I got this info second hand.
>
>We sent a email to NOAA/SATEPS regarding access to
>their data server.

If you have any association with NOAA, your request for access
to their ADDE servers should be approved.

>Our group has been using the data produced by
>Scott Gennari at Hawaii for some time. But, now
>he plans to leave and we need another source for
>full res full coverage GOES8/10 & GMS-5 data in all 5 (or
>4) channels, though we can do without all but the normal
>IR and VIS channels if necessary.

This is, of course, quite a bit of data.  Out of curiousity, what
are you doing with this data?

>I have been
>downloading every data file Scott has produced for
>a long time now.
>
>Do you think we can get some of our data via unidata
>servers in near real-time, in case NOAA balks at the
>very large quantity of data we need every day (every
>hour is better)?

I think that this should be possible with a couple of caveats:

o if the sheer volume of data requested causes problems (network,
  machine, etc.) we would need to impose limits

o in keeping with the spirit of cooperation in the Unidata community,
  we would ask you to provide access to your data holdings to others
  (quid pro quo).  This would be through ADDE and possibly DODS, Java
  RMI, and FTP.

Tom Yoksas