20011120: historic GOES image data access

>From: Tracy DeLiberty <address@hidden>

Tracy,

>    Here at the University of Delaware we have a satellite feed and
>acquire Unidata satellite data.  I have a student working on a project
>in my Satellite Climatology course interested in looking at Hurricane
>Andrew (1992).  The Unidata web site indicates that Unidata does not
>archive Historical data.

That is correct.  Our office does not archive any data.

>I have gone through the list of Case Studies
>and found one at NCDC's web site of Extreme Events which as other case
>studies have only gif images.

Even though they don't appear to have Andrew data, a good site to
remember is UCAR/Joss:

JOSS HomePage
http://www.joss.ucar.edu
  Archived data (CODIAC System)
  http://www.joss.ucar.edu/codiac/

>If I wanted to acquire the actual data
>for just several days to use as an example in teaching, would I need to
>order the data from SSEC/Wisconsin or NCDC?

I would try to see if the days you are interested in are available
in the Unidata-Wisconsin archives.  The information on doing this is
contained in:

Unidata-Wisconsin Datastream Archives
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

The data you/your student are looking for might be in those archives.
If they are not, .edu sites are allowed to order data free-of-charge
from the SSEC Data Center (as long as the amount of data desired is
reasonable and the GOES data is abailable).  Here is a reply of the
announcement of this service we made some time ago:

  >From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

  Educational Users of Satellite Imagery and Conventional Data:

  We are very pleased to pass on an announcement from the SSEC Data
  Center (http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter) regarding access to their
  satellite imagery and conventional data archives:

  The Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) currently makes
  available archives of research-quality data from three different
  geostationary satellites free-of-charge to universities for
  non-commercial use.  Conventional data for the same time period as
  the satellite data are also available.

  The satellite and conventional archives include:

                     Satellite imagery

    Platform         Archived Data Available     Data Format
    ----------------+---------------------------+------------------------------
    GOES East/West   October 1, 1997  - Present  McIDAS AREA
    GMS              November 9, 1998 - Present  McIDAS AREA
    Meteosat         March 9, 1999    - Present  McIDAS AREA

                     Conventional Data

    Data Type        Archived Data Available     Data Format
    ----------------+---------------------------+------------------------------
    Point            October 1, 1997 - Present   McIDAS MD
    Model Grids      October 1, 1997 - Present   McIDAS GRID
    Text             October 1, 1997 - Present   McIDAS TEXT

  Satellite imagery data include all bands from the listed platforms.
  Conventional data is only available in McIDAS compatible formats.

  Please note that the freely-available data are a small subset of the
  SSEC Data Center holdings.  Access to other data are available on a
  per-product, fee basis.

  The archived data are accessible by both internet FTP and McIDAS ADDE.
  Access information will be provided by email after an order has been
  filled.  McIDAS users will want to review the "Getting Started with ADDE"
  section of the Unidata McIDAS-X User's Guide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/users_guide/

  for information on how to setup ADDE access.

  For detailed information about this free service and to place an order
  to the SSEC Data Center, please refer to:

  http://inventory.ssec.wisc.edu/data/

  We want to express our thanks to SSEC for providing the Unidata
  university community with such a valuable resource!

>Are there any other avenues
>for acquiring GOES data over a few days.

If neither of the two avenues above work (they should), you can send
out a request to the 'needdata' email list maintained by Unidata to see
if some site out there has the data you are looking for.  Before
posting to any email list maintained by Unidata, you must first
subscribe to that list (and get confirmation of your subscription).
This can be done online at:

>    Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

No worries...

>Dr. Tracy DeLiberty
>  Assistant Professor
>Department of Geography