20010904: Possible Change to NCEP frontal position bulletins

Ed,

Thank you for clarifying the proposed changes.

In regards to my program in GEMPAK that is being used to create the images
for the AMS datastream pages, I can tell you:

1) My program does not currently use the strength indicator

2) Eliminating the indicator (your solution 1) will not affect the program.

At present, when my program finds the frontal type, eg COLD, WARM, TROF,
OCFNT, or STNRY, it then looks ahead until it finds the start of a numerical
sequence (eg latlon pair) and continues on looking for latlon pairs until
it hits something non numerical- eg another feature identifier of end of the
bulletin. So, the removal of any strength modifier will not have any adverse
effect. Also, to replace the group with XX as in your second solution would not
cause any problem so long as the  XX group does not use a number (letters "XX"
are fine) but since this does not add any information I would prefer solution
1.

I would rather not see solution 3, since it makes archived data confusing
so that the user would have to know that before a certain date, WK meant
something different than after the date.

The type of changes that would require rewriting the current program
in GEMPAK would be: altering the latlon pair format, changing the
feature types (such as HIGHS, LOWS, or any of the fronts/trof identifiers
listed above), or introducing any separator characters between features.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support