20010613: WSR-88D data for Holloman Air Force Base, NM (KHDX)

>From:  "Daran L. Rife" <address@hidden>

Daran,

>I am trying to obtain WSR-88D data from Holloman Air Force Base, NM
>(KHDX) for 07-08 June 2001.

Unidata in collaboration with SCD maintains a top level IDD node in the
main machine room at NCAR.  One of the sets of data on this machine is
a "rolling" two week "archive" of NEXRAD Level III products for all
sites reporting in NOAAPORT.  I just checked to verify that the
products for HDX are available on this machine, 'motherlode.ucar.edu'.

>GEMPAK format would be ideal,

Both GEMPAK and McIDAS support the zlib-compressed format of the products
as they are transmitted in NOAAPORT.  This is the format of the data is
filed on motherlode.

>but I'll take what I can get.  Can anyone help me please?

You can FTP the files you need from motherlode as follows:

machine: motherlode.ucar.edu
user: unidata
pass: lotzodata
directories: /raw/nexrad/nids_2001060[78]/HDX

Under the directories listed, you will find the products for HDX filed in
directories as follows:

N0R - Base Reflectivity Tilt 1
N0S - Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 1
N0V - Radial Velocity Tilt 1
NCR - Composite Reflectivity
NTP - Storm Total Rainfall
NVL - Vertical Liquid H2O

These same data are available programatically by McIDAS through the following
ADDE datasets:

RTNEXRAD - current data: all products from all sites for current day
NEXRALL  - "rolling archive": all products from all sites for most current
           15 days

The ADDE server name for these dataset groups is ADDE.UCAR.EDU.

Please remember:

o these data are transitory.  When they get to be older than 15 days, they
  are scoured from the system.

o since the files are binary, remember to FTP them using binary (image) mode

>Thanks,

Please do not broadcast the FTP access infomation for motherlode
outside of UCAR.  We will announce FTP and ADDE access to this machine to
the entire Unidata community when we feel confident that the machine
will withstand the activity that is likely to be generated by folks
looking for data.