20010510: Seakeepers Data

Hi Otis,

I've got information for you and I hope it is in reference to the same dataset that you were discussing yesterday.

Walter Smith, (301) 713-0864 x 139 at NWS, Silver Spring, said he had talked with Dr. Kerns (sp?) at the University of Miami who was asking about making the Seakeepers dataset available. Hopefully you know him. Anyway, the Seakeepers data are now being routed to NCEP (in Camp Springs) from the NWSTG (in Silver Spring) and to the National Data Buoy Center (Stennis Space Center Mississippi). The WMO headers are:

SMVX80KWUM
SOVX80KWUM

What is needed now is a request to make the data available through NOAAPORT and the NWSTG. That request indicating the data type with the WMO headers should be made to:

Julie Hayes
NWS HQTR  Route:  W/OPS32
BLDG: SSMC2  RM: 5322
1325 EAST WEST HWY
SILVER SPRING MD 20910-3283
PH: (301)713-0864 x120
Internet Address: address@hidden

An email request should be sufficient. In this case, I think I would cc Walter Smith. The way this works is Julie receives the request and she informs Walter that the data need to be added.

Walter Smith
NWS HQTR  Route:  W/OPS32
BLDG: SSMC2  RM: 5320
1325 EAST WEST HWY
SILVER SPRING MD 20910-3283
PH: (301)713-0864 x139
Internet Address: address@hidden

I asked if one request from a university was sufficient and Walter indicated it would be, but if you need additional support, Unidata can certainly help reinforce the need/request. Also, I think it would be great to announce the data to the Unidata community when it becomes available. Perhaps you could consider writing up a brief announcement about the dataset.

If I'm totally off-base regarding the dataset that I've pursued, please let me know.

Best to you!

Linda

Linda Miller - address@hidden
External Liaison, Unidata