Date: Thursday, March 22, 2001 10:06 AM +0000
From: wxsat mailer <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: RE: Geographically registering GOES images from NOAAport

# Mail addressed to address@hidden will be discarded.

From: "ORAM, TIM (JSC-ZS)" <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:48:28 -0600

I'll try to share what I know, but please forgive any gaps in my knowledge.
We have both a McIDAS system and an AWIPS system and have done some playing
with coverting McIDAS images (AREA format) into both GINI and straight to
netCDF.  We have then configured AWIPS to display the images.  We've been
fairly successful, but our knowledge is mostly from experience and may not
be complete.

1.  The best source of information regarding the NOAAPort imagery is the
Interface Control Document (ICD) for AWIPS-National Environmental Satellite,
Data and Information Service (NESDIS).  I believe this is available from the
NOAAPort web site( http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/refs.shtml).  This
document describes the projection, resolution and size of the imagery.  The
GOES East imagery for example is remapped to a Lambert conformal projection
(using McIDAS software) with a resolution of 1.0159 km at 25.000 deg N with
specified lat/lon corners.  This image is then subsequently converted into
GINI format and broadcast.

2.  We have seen the same systematic 2-4 km error (at least over Kennedy
Space Center) in the NOAAPort GOES East visible imagery.

3.  Although there is navigation information in the GINI file, the AWIPS
system for example does not seem to use this information for navigation of
the satellite imagery.  In AWIPS, the image is converted from GINI to netCDF
and stored in an appropriate directory on the system.  The navigation is
accomplished using ancilliary files that describe the navigation for files
stored in that particular directory.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Tim Oram