20010216: Changes to Unidata machine

>From:  Dee Wade <address@hidden>

Dee,

>I have a  couple of questions. First what is the status or plans for
>Unidata to replace the current Unidata machine at SSEC.

Here is the story:

o the unirec replacement machine was delivered from Sun while we
  were moved out of our offices for a remodel; this delivery was
  about one to two months late

o the machine is still sitting in boxes (mostly in my office) waiting
  time for our sys admins to get to setting it up

o as soon as we have set it up, we will ship it to you and work with
  you on its installation

>I had a Unidata
>site contact me about getting additional realtime data.

Who?  Most of our sites realizes that they are not supposed to bug
you guys with these sorts of questions.  I would really like to know
who made the request so I can evaluate what is going on.

>I wanted to
>tell him that this might be coming soon but didn't.

I would _love_ to tell you that the replacement machine will be shipping
tomorrow, but I can't.  I will bring this up at next week's staff meeting
to see if I can get the priorities bumped up.

>Secondly, several weeks ago we talked about the possibility of using
>your HP on 11.0 for upgrade testing.  Is that still an option?

Yes, this will be fine as soon as this machine is working.  Luckily,
this effort has been going on in the past week or so.  Please let me
know what accounts you will be needing so I can see to it that they
get setup.

>If I
>remember correctly you were getting a new machine or moving one or
>something.

We are installing a new, fast machine.  I don't remember the model right
off, but I have been told that it is very fast (a big change from our
old machine!).

>Please advise.

One other thing.  Very recently I discovered a problem on RedHat 6.x, 7.x
Linux boxes.  They can not serve sounding data through the remote ADDE
server with any sort of reliability.  I have been beating my head against
this problem for about a week and have been led to the conclusion that
the problem may be in the OS.  One reason I say this is that the vpserv
code works with no problems on RedHat 5.2.  Also, remote ADDE serving
off of all Linux boxes works fine for all datasets -except- sounding
data.  One might think that the problem was related to vpserv, but
system trace outputs during vpserve execution seems to indicate that
the socket through which it is communicating is terminated by some
other, external process.

What were your plans for supporting Linux?  If you were going to announce
support for Linux, then you would have to support a current release;
this means RedHat 7.0.  Announcing spport for RedHat 5.2 will not be
advisable since there are so many know security problems with it.
I would love to be able to turn this bugger over to Benson since he seems
to thrive in troubleshooting low level problems.  So, the question
is is this a possibility?

>THanks,

I will keep on top of the HP and unirec replacement issues.  Please let
me know if I can turn the sounding serving problem over to Benson, or
at least get his input on it.  After all, I think that he is the
person that developed the great majority of the ADDE code (I realize
that it was Krauss that developed vpserv and the clients that make
requests to it).