20010211: NOAAPORT Lightning data decoding

>From:  "ROTZOLL, DORIS A. (JSC-ZS8)" <address@hidden>

Doris,

>Do you guys decode the NOAAPORT lightning data as well as radar?

No, out sites get a direct feed of the unencrypted NLDN lightning data
from SUNY Albany.  The NOAAPORT data is encrypted, and the run of
the mill Unidata site has little chance of getting the decryption
key to view this data.

The question for you is whether or not you have access to the decryption
key.  If so, it would be very interesting to find out the form of the
decrypted data.  It could be that the routine that I now distribute
for decoding the NLDN data into McIDAS MD form could be used (with
an unknow amount of modification) for the NOAAPORT data.

I am interested in pursuing this further, so if you have examples of
decrypted data, I would love to see them.  At a minimum, you may
want to adopt my NLDN MD file schema.  The layout I chose allows
for fast access to the data, so I think it could benefit you.

Other than all of that, how's life?