20010112: example RESOLV.SRV entries for NOAAPORT GINI data (cont.)

>From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>

Hsie,

>It is not clear for me here.  You want me to set up 4 ADDE group:
>
>RTGINI
>GINIEAST
>GINIWEST
>GINICOMP

Yes.

The reason for this is the following:  In McIDAS, you "point" at an
entire dataset on a single machine with the DATALOC command.  For
example:

DATALOC ADD RTGINI stratus.al.noaa.gov

Now, stratus is getting all of the GINI data, so all of the descriptors
in RTGINI (e.g., GW1KVIS) should have data.

On a different machine like cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu, there may not be all
of the GINI data.  In fact, UGa only gets the GOES-East NOAAPORT GINI
images.

An end user might want to load GOES East GINI images from UGa since it
is "close" (electronically), but that user might also want to access
GOES-West GINI images.  If all sites with any GINI data only had the
group RTGINI defined, then an end user would have to decide to point at
a machine that had all of the GINI data instead of pointing at two or
three different machines that might have part of the GINI data.

So, sites that have all of the data are best setup with definitions for
all possible ways of accessing their data.  In the case of GINI images,
this is most logically done with 4 datasets:

RTGINI   <- all GINI data from NOAAPORT channels 1 (GOES-East),
            2 (GOES-West), and 4 (DCP; this channel contains one composite
            satellite product GMC24Kxx which is really not all that
            pleasing to look at, but it is somewhat useful)

GINIEAST <- NOAAPORT channel 1 (GOES-East) images

GINIWEST <- NOAAPORT channel 2 (GOES-West) images

GINICOMP <- composite images that are in both channels 1 and 2

With a setup like this, the following setup on a user's machine would
work nicely:

DATALOC ADD GOESEAST cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
DATALOC ADD GOESWEST papagayo.unl.edu
DATALOC ADD GOESCOMP stratus.al.noaa.gov

Tom