NEXRAD Data from NWS

all,

I thought you might be interested in this blurb regarding the FTP site at the NWS which is providing the NEXRAD radar data....

clipped from WxTalk Digest, 7-8 Jan 2001....

Date:    Mon, 8 Jan 2001 03:19:05 -0500
From:    Robert P Dale <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: NWS Nexrad Distribution...

The whole system has been flakey since starting... I use the FTP extensively
and notice 4-6 hour gaps quite regularly. I imagine that they just weren't
ready for all the hits.

I still can't figure out why the FTP site doesn't have a "LATEST" file yet!
They simply have a folder with 250 files in it, so for every image I want to
download I have the software log in, get a directory sorted by time, filter
out the newest one and check to see if I've already downloaded. HORRIBLY
inefficient, especially when I do it for 20-30 sites and products. And I'm
sure it puts a big wear & tear on their system when everyone else starts
doing it...

Rob

Linda Miller - address@hidden
External Liaison, Unidata