20001219: WSI data feed (reply)

>From: Richard Chinman <address@hidden>

Richard,

Linda Miller forwarded this to several of us in Unidata a few days ago,
and I have been meaning to briefly touch base with you about the
contract conditions that Maria Pirone apparently proposed.

The item of major concern is:

"This would include web redistribution rights for the six products
offered over the NWS NOAAport feed"

I feel strongly that:

1). Redistribution should not be limited to the web

2). The contract should not specify how many products may be freely
redistributed.  I think that the intent might be to limit
redistribution of products not being sent in the NWSTG, but setting the
number to be six does not allow for the additional products scheduled
to be included in the NWSTG as listed on:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/noaaport.html

3). As you note below, the current contract that Unidata has with WSI
allows for free redistribution of all products after they become 48
hours old.  The new contract should not be more restrictive than the
current one.

Sorry I didn't get these comments to you sooner...

Tom Yoksas
Unidata Program Center/UCAR