20001129: WSI NOWrad (cont.)

>From: David Ahijevych <address@hidden>

David,

Sorry this reply languished for so long.

>I talked with Maria Pirone at WSI on Nov 15 2000 and asked her about their
>NOWrad products.  There is a NOWrad Plus service that has 5-minute
>resolution and a 2-step QC procedure.  The first step deals with
>single-site data and the second step comes in at the composite stage. Both
>of the first two steps are automatic computer algorithms.

Right, this is the one that we are getting now.

>And there is a
>15 minute product with a third QC step.  A meteorologist manually removes
>anomalous propagation echoes and other artifacts in this third step. On
>average, the third QC step takes seven minutes.

I am not sure that we are getting this product.

>The 5 minute product is
>timely and preferred by aviation and the 15 minute product is cleaner and
>used by the media.

OK.

>Both products are useful, but for our research needs, the 15-minute
>product is preferred.  Does Unidata get this 3-step quality control NOWrad
>product from WSI?

Not that I am aware of.  I think that we have the NOWrad PLUS service,
not the EXPRESS NOWrad PLUS service.  If you really need to know if we
are supposed to get the 15-minute, 3 level QC, I can find out on
Monday.  Given that we (Unidata) will only be funding this feed for
another couple of weeks, I don't think knowing will be all that
important.

There will be a UCAR meeting about what to do about the WSI contract in
the era of free NOAAPORT NIDS coming up.  Richard Chinman
(address@hidden) of IITA is supposedly organizing this meeting.  The
real issue comes down to money.  As you will see from Maria's note to
Richard, the cost of the 'EXPRESS NOWrad PLUS' service from WSI is $550
per month.

For reference, here is the majority of a note that Maria Pirone of WSI
sent to Richard Chinman yesterday, December 7:

  "Richard--

  Per our conversation last evening, WSI is prepared to offer UCAR
  uninterrupted access to both the WSR-88d data and the NOWrad mosaics
  beyond January 1st 2001. Our quote for the WSR-88d data from all 154
  sites including all sites in Alaska, Hawaii and Guam would be at the
  University rate of $575 per month.  This would include web
  redistribution rights for the six products offered over the NWS
  NOAAport feed, the remaining 16 or so products would be restricted from
  redistribution beyond UCAR.  The reason for this is the value of the
  information to the resellers in the industry and the fact that the most
  commonly understood products  would be widely available to the public
  and others.  (I will forward you a complete list of the six products in
  a future e-mail.)

  The NOWrad mosaic package (EXPRESS NOWrad PLUS) would include both the
  2-level Quality Controlled 2km Regional Master and 8km National mosaics
  updated every 5 minutes and the 3-level Quality Controlled 2km Regional
  Master and 8km National mosaics updated every 15 minutes.  This
  standard package which includes additional mosaics not included in the
  current university package which UCAR receives today costs $550 per
  month. This value-added package is strictly prohibited from
  redistribution beyond UCAR.

  The total price for the packages is $1125.00 per month and would
  require no changes to WSI hardware or software at UCAR.  This data
  would be delivered via WSI's High Capacity Satellite Network just as
  UCAR receives it today.

  If you have any questions regarding this information please give me a
  call.  Looking forward to working with you on this project.

  Sincerely-
  Maria

  Maria A. Pirone
  Director, Global Data Products & Services

  WSI Corporation
  900 Tech Park Bldg #8
  Billerica, MA  01821
  (978) 262-0668 (voice)