20000911: obtaining access to Unidata community data archives

>From: Nicholas Demetriades <address@hidden>

Nicholas,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but things have been pretty
hectic around here lately.

>My name is Nicholas Demetriades and I work for Global Atmospherics, Inc.
>(GAI).  Our company created and runs the U.S. National Lightning Detection
>Network and other lightning detection networks all over the globe.

Yes, we are very familar with the very useful NLDN lightning data that your
company provides.

>I work
>for the directed research group within GAI and I have a Master's in
>Meteorology.  Many of my projects involve using both lightning and
>meteorological data.  I am currently performing a case study on the 15
>July 2000 thunderstorms that affected Tampa Bay, FL.  I am in need of
>surface observations and precipitation data from sites in and around Tampa
>Bay on that day.  During my data search I found your website and noticed
>that it said that some researchers can obtain data from Unidata.

Since our office, the Unidata Program Center, does not archive any
data, you must have seen comments about our community members that do.
These sites are typically very generous in providing data to those
looking for specific sets for research and education.

>It
>appears that Unidata may have some of the data I have been searching for.
>I was wondering how I could become a member?

In order to request data from Unidata community members, you only need
to send out a request to the address@hidden email list that
we maintain.  Before you can post to the list, however, you have to
join the list. This is easily done online at:

When you request the data, please make sure to specify exactly what
you are looking and what you intend to do with it.  This will help
those with data holdings know that your request is for valid research.

>The case study has to be
>complete by November, so any assistance would be appreciated in the near
>future.

If it turns out that no one in the Unidata community has the data that
you are looking for, you should contact the National Climactic Data
Center (NCDC) in Ashville, NC:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/

>Thanks for your time,

I hope that this helped.