20000828: Noaaport lite

>From: Tom Priddy <address@hidden>

Tom

>We just rececived our Noaaport lite system on Friday. Is it possible to
>set up this system on one of our unix/linux systems and run ldm to manage
>the incoming data....similar to our Unidata ldm?

Since nobody here has any experience with NOAAport Lite (tm), I decided
to go out to the DynCorp web pages and take a look:

NOAAPort Lite
http://dynis.is.dyncorp.com/technology/packaged/noaaport/lite.html

Frequently Asked Questions
http://dynis.is.dyncorp.com/technology/packaged/noaaport/litefaq.html

These pages do not give enough technical information to know whether
or not the datastream that you get would be compatible with the LDM.
For instance, do the products in the stream that you can get off
of their ethernet interface:

o look like the old Family of Services products
  o what are their headers like
  o does the start of products match what

If I were to guess, I would say that the NOAAport Lite stream might be
compatible with the LDM (based on the FAQ section:

 "What meteorological software works with NOAAPort Lite?
  DynCorp IS is working with several meteorological software vendors to
  certify the compatibility of their products with NOAAPort Lite. We will
  maintain and distribute a list of these vendors. Make sure you have
  your software vendor contact us to learn how to become NOAAPort Lite
  certified. For those users that have written their own meteorological
  analysis software and want to ingest data from the Ethernet port on our
  receiver, we are providing a simple ingest program at no extra charge.
  We will ship source code for UNIX and Microsoft NT systems that will
  connect to the Ethernet port, ingest the files, and store them on disk.
  Our intent is to provide users with a program that can be used as a
  simple operational capability or a starting point for custom software
  development."

but I would not guarantee it.

Now, I have a few questions for you:

o what was the cost of the system
o what configuration are you opting for:

  NOAAPort Data Services
       GOES West Satellite Images
       GOES East Satellite Images
       Alphanumeric (IDS, PPS, DDS)
       Numerical Model Output (GRIB)

  Family of Services
       Public Products Service (PPS)
       Domestic Data Service (DDS)
       International Data Service (IDS)
       DIFAX

  Other Data Services
       NOAA Weather Wire
       FAA 604

o what is the recurring cost for the data that you are opting for

o is DynCorp restricting your use of the data you receive in any way
  (e.g., can you redistribute it; can you make products from the
  data and put the products on your web pages without restricting
  who can look at them; etc.)

o did you get any technical information with your system

The last question may help us determine if the LDM could be used with
NOAAport Lite.

>Tom Priddy,  Extension Ag. Meteorologist.....email: address@hidden
>Ag. Weather Center.............................fax: 606-257-5671
>243 Ag. Engineering Bldg.....................phone: 606-257-8803 ext 245
>
>Dept. of Biosystems and Ag. Engr.
>University of Kentucky
>Lexington, KY 40546-0276
>HOMEPAGE......................................http://wwwagwx.ca.uky.edu/

Tom Yoksas

From: Tom Priddy

I thought Universities were already using Noaaport lite and ldm. I also
assumed the headers would be WMO headers similar to the Unidata
feed. I've got a call into dyncorp to talk about the questions you listed
below. The fact is I've got just over 30days to get the Noaaport up
and considerable software concerns on this end.....I feel like it's
Y2K all over again. More after I've talked to dyncorp. thanks/ktp