20000811: GOES data archive

>From:  "Dr. Elen Cutrim" <address@hidden>

Elen,

>So far all is going well with McIDAS at WMU.  I am about to finish
>analysing the dry season data and need to download more of GOES-E data
>for 31 days in January/February 1999.

Sounds good.  I'm glad things got working eventually.

>The dry season data I pigbacked on a colleague that was studying fires
>in Amazonia.

Right, they are pretty big.

>When I talked with folks a SSEC this past May about acquiring the wet
>season GOES-E data,  they said I could get this data free, as a member
>of UNIDATA.

Actually, educational sites (sites whose machine domains are in .edu)
are allowed to request data from the SSEC archives.  This represents
a group much larger than the Unidata community, but so far the only
users have been Unidata sites.

>Last year I did download some archived data by filing up a
>data request in the UNIDATA site.  Now I cannot find that option
>anymore.
>
>Basically, I need 8 km Res, 3 hourly GOES data centered at Lat -3 and
>Lon 55, 480 lines and 640 ele from 18 Jan-18 Feb 1999.  How can I
>request this?

Try going to the SSEC Data Center page for free .edu downloads:

http://inventory.ssec.wisc.edu/data/

and follow the instructions on that page.  Note, however, that
you will have to access this page from a machine on a .edu subnet.
You would be denied access to the page, for instance, if you tried
coming in from home from .com or .net domains.

>Thank you so much for any info you can give me.

The other thing is access to the images that have previously been sent
in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream, but these images do not cover
Amazonia.  Are you interested in these images?  If so, the access
information you need is:

o send request to address@hidden
o to get the data by FTP after they have restored it, you will need:

  machine: unidata.ssec.wisc.edu
  user: .....
  pass: .....
  directory: neartime (near realtime data)
             urequest (archived data pulled from tape)

Again, this mechanism only gets you access to images that had previously
been broadcast in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.

Let me know if the above don't work for you.