Re: SAUS4* headers not being processed

Great! Unfortunately, I'll be on vacation this week, so I won't be able to
test if it is on my end until next week. Keep in mind again that all could
be swimmingly well; the reason why I posted to ldm-users first was to
verify if anyone else was having the problem, since it very well could be
local to just me. I suspect not, but who knows.

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Russ Rew wrote:

> Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden> wrote:
> > OK, ldm 5.1.2beta1 seems to be stable here. Question: I thought it
> > processes METARs sent under the SAUS4* headers from NWS offices. How come
> > I am not seeing them? In my ldmd.conf, I am requesting S[AP]US.. for
> > pqsurf (OK, that's not the right syntax, but you know what I mean). What's
> > up?
>
> This is a problem we haven't seen before.  Until we can determine the
> cause and a fix or workaround, I'd advise sites that are using pqsurf
> to keep using LDM 5.0.x and not upgrade to the LDM 5.1.2 beta test
> version announced on 4 August.

Can someone give an example of a station with a SAUS4* header?  My pqsurf
is set up a little different.  No pattern in the 'exec pqsurf' line of
'ldmd.conf' and patterns '^sao', '^metar', '^speci' in my 'pqsurf.conf'.
Thanks.

Otherwise, I haven't noticed any problems with 5.12b.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Aug  7 09:20:33 2000
>Subject: Re: SAUS4* headers not being processed

Tom,

> Can someone give an example of a station with a SAUS4* header?  My pqsurf
> is set up a little different.  No pattern in the 'exec pqsurf' line of
> 'ldmd.conf' and patterns '^sao', '^metar', '^speci' in my 'pqsurf.conf'.
> Thanks.
>
> Otherwise, I haven't noticed any problems with 5.12b.

Double ditto. SAUS4. KLOT (I can't remember the second number in the WMO
header) comes to mind.

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> > Can someone give an example of a station with a SAUS4* header?  My pqsurf
> > is set up a little different.  No pattern in the 'exec pqsurf' line of
> > 'ldmd.conf' and patterns '^sao', '^metar', '^speci' in my 'pqsurf.conf'.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Otherwise, I haven't noticed any problems with 5.12b.
>
> Double ditto. SAUS4. KLOT (I can't remember the second number in the WMO
> header) comes to mind.

Interesting.  I don't seem to have any obs from KLOT or KCHI in my
'weather' program 'metar_gdb' files from as far back as 07/31, well before
5.1.2b was installed.  So the problem may date back further and be
unrelated to the new ldm.  Funny thing is, I also keep "flat" metar files,
which do have KLOT and KCHI obs, but I can't find them using the 'weather'
program.

Tom

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Tom McDermott wrote:

> Interesting.  I don't seem to have any obs from KLOT or KCHI in my
> 'weather' program 'metar_gdb' files from as far back as 07/31, well before
> 5.1.2b was installed.  So the problem may date back further and be
> unrelated to the new ldm.

That is true. The LDM rejected any SAUS4* headers before 5.011, according
to the file which lists all the updates. These were test METARs, but now,
they're no longer stamped as such.

>  Funny thing is, I also keep "flat" metar files,
> which do have KLOT and KCHI obs, but I can't find them using the 'weather'
> program.

I guess pqsurf still doesn't like the SAUS4* headers. Because when I save
the METARs as raw files (not going through pqsurf), I do get them as well.
BTW, outside of this, let me emphasize again...this beta version is rock
stable, and I am noticing a performance increase on my system...my load
average used to be right around .99, now it's .75 this morning. Even late
last week, when there was much more precip on the radar, the system was
running about 10%-20% less load than usual.

>From address@hidden Mon Aug  7 10:04:43 2000
>Subject: Re: SAUS4* headers not being processed

Gilbert,

I'm not sure it's rejecting them.  Here is the metar for Rochester NY
which is a SAUS41:

SAUS41 KBUF 071456
MTRROC
METAR KROC 071454Z 24017KT 10SM BKN028 BKN045 BKN100 BKN180 24/20
A2983 RMK AO2 SLP097 8/131 T02440200 50002

And I'm certainly getting all the KROC obs in my pqsurf files.  In fact, I
seem to be have at least some of the metars for stations such as RFD and
ORD issued out of the KLOT office:

MF> RFD

The weather observed at ROCKFORD, IL (KRFD) at 10:54 AM CDT was:
  The skies were clear.
  Temperature: 79F ( 26C)  Dewpoint:  68F ( 20C)  Relative Humidity:  70%
  Winds from the SW (240 degs) at  9 mph.
  Pressure: 1013.5 millibars.  Altimeter:29.94 inches of mercury.
  The prevailing visibility was 10 miles.

MF> ORD

The weather observed at CHICAGO O'HARE, IL (KORD) at 10:56 AM CDT was:
  The skies were mostly clear.
  Temperature: 79F ( 26C)  Dewpoint:  66F ( 19C)  Relative Humidity:  65%
  Winds from the W  (280 degs) at 13 mph.
  Pressure: 1013.3 millibars.  Altimeter:29.94 inches of mercury.
  The prevailing visibility was 10 miles.

Just nothing for KLOT itself.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Aug  7 10:11:21 2000
>Subject: RE: SAUS4* headers not being processed
>Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:20:34 -0400

I'm having problems with the SAUS4x and SAUS5x products.  I think they
may still be TEST but not labeled as such.  The big problem is
intermixing SPECI and METAR reports.  There is no way to distinguish the
two which is causing duplicate hourly reports.

I took a look at the SAUS43 KLOT and last hour there were only 2, each
with a single METAR, one for KRFD and the other KORD.

From what I can tell, these products contain METARs that are already in
products such as SAUS70 and SAUS80 so I'm tempted to filter them out.

I'll continue to research this...
Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-444-2407
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-444-2420