20000720: please update your ALLOWs for Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

David,

>     There is no allow in our ldmd.conf
>file for any host at wmich

OK, I thought not.

>Before we can add one we need the name and
>email of a contact there

Dr. Elen Cutrim
address@hidden

Elen is the Acting Department Chair.

>(and their assurance the data will be used appropriately).

I am CCing Elen on this email so that she can see that she should
reply to you with assurances that Western Michigan will NEVER provide
this data to any entity outside of her university.  This includes,
but is not limited to, making externally viewable web pages of
NLDN lightning data.

>Thanks

Thank you!

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Jul 20 17:32:07 2000
>Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden, address@hidden

Elen,
     We have added an allow for s418.lab2.cc.wmich.edu to request
NLDN data from striker.atmos.albany.edu
     As you know there are restrictions imposed on us by
the company that collects this data on how it can be used
and redistributed. These can be found at:
     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/data_usage.html
Basically, the data can be used only for teaching and research.
Any published results using the data should aknowledge the provider - GDS.
The data connot be redistributed in any form. In particular
please do not put it on a www, gopher, ftp or other publically
accessible server. Please follow these guidelines so that we
can continue to make this data freely available to the Unidata
community. Please make sure all your users are aware of these restrictions.
Enjoy,
David

>From address@hidden Fri Jul 21 06:49:43 2000
>Subject: Re: NLDN data for Western Michigan

Hi Dave,
Thanks for letting me know.  I only use UNIDATA products for teaching and
research.  But it is good to be reminded of the restriction of the NDLN
data, especially now that I will be going to Brazil on sabbatical for the
Fall Semester and other colleagues and new TA's will be using the
Meteorology Lab accounts.
I will pass this info to them.
Thanks,

Elen