20000714: GOES INR Erros and Solar Storm

>From: UW SSEC Data Center <address@hidden>

Unidata-Wisconsin datastream userss:

The following e-mail was relayed by SSEC Data Center personnel concerning
the increased noise in the GOES datastream:

------- Begin of Forwarded Message

Subject:  GOES INR Errors and Solar Storm

At approximately 6:00 AM EDT on July 14, 2000, increased solar activity
was observed in the GOES X-Ray Sensor. Approximately one hour after the
observation, abnormal increases in the proton and electron counts were
also observed.  At this point, all the GOES spacecraft are functioning
normally except for the observed increase in the imager and sounder
noise. We believe that the detectors are being corrupted by the high
energy protons and electrons and are subsequently increasing the noise
level. The result is that for all the spacecraft we are unable to
accurately detect stars and thus INR performance is becoming degraded.
Currently, the phenomenon is continuing and has persisted for
approximately 7 hours. We hope the solar activity will decrease in the
next several hours and INR performance should return to normal. For now
it is recommended that we notify the user community of the problem.

***************************************
Dolores B. Miller
Chief, Software Branch
NOAA /NESDIS/Office of Satellite Operations
FOB#4, Rm 0109, E/SO13
5200 Auth Road (mailing address)
Suitland, MD 20746-4304
Voice: 301-457-5250 x108