20000609: data stream product IDs

>From: Matthew Maschmann <address@hidden>

Matt,

>I am a new member to the LDM community and was wondering if you could help
>me find a web site that could help me understand which product ID's
>contained what kind of weather data.

The great majority of data conveyed in the Unidata IDD comes from the
NOAAPORT data broadcasts.  The product IDs are not necessarily something
that Unidata adds during the LDM-to-LDM transfers that comprise the IDD.

>Everything seems to hinge on knowing
>the code for the type of data I need.  I am a little overdaunted. Any help
>would be great.  Thanks.

The following pages are the links you would follow to get to the NOAAPORT
product data catalog maintained by NOAA:

Unidata Home Page
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Data Sources
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Data_Sources.html
    Breakdown of Available Current Data
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/Data_Sources.html#current
      NOAAPORT User's Page
      http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/noaaport.shtml
        NOAAPORT Data Characteristics
        http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/data.shtml

The last page has a lot of information on product headers and what they
mean.  This will be a good starting point in the process of understanding
the vast amount of data available in the NOAAPORT streams conveyed by
the IDD.

>Matt Maschmann
>Nevada Center for Advanced Computational Methods
>address@hidden

Tom Yoksas