20000605: NLDN data needed

>From: "Robert H. Holzworth" <address@hidden>

Bob,

>I am a NASA supported scientist conducting research on the effects of
>lightning on the upper atmosphere and ionosphere.  I would like to
>obtain near real-time

To my knowledge, no site other than SUNY Albany archives NLDN lightning
data.  Even if they did, the agreements for use of the NLDN data
would probably prevent one site from sharing the data with another.
Whether or not SUNY Albany would be willing to give you limited access
to their lightning data arcives is an issue that is best discussed
with Dr. David Knight, address@hidden.

>and archival access to high resolution NLDN
>stroke-level data for rocket and balloon launch decision making as well
>as post flight data analysis.

The NLDN lightning data, which Global Atmospherics, Inc.
(http://www.glatmos.com/) generously allows SUNY Albany to distribute
to Unidata university sites via point-to-point LDM transfers, has been
available to university educators and researchers for several years.

>These data will also be used for
>educational studies by undergraduates as well as my PhD students.  I
>was glad to hear that these data are now available free through SUNY
>over the internet.  (Previously we have been dependent on others with
>NLDN "stations" such as at NASA Wallops, or by purchasing the data
>after the flight from Global Atmospherics.  So, real time access will
>be a great help to our research as well as as a teaching tool.)

The Department of Atmospheric Science at the University of Washington
has, I believe,  been receiving these data for long as it has been
available from SUNY Albany.  In order to share this data with the
Atmospheric Science Department, you should contact Dr. Harry Edmon,
address@hidden.

>These programs will be running on a 350MHz Windows machine with direct
>internet connection (efield2.geophys.washington.edu).
>
>My main goal will be to have a point-and-click access to regional views
>of current (and recent past) lightning activity at a particular
>location, such as Wallops Island, VA.  I would like to have any
>software you have that would separate out lightning strokes located
>within a user-defined lat-long box for storage on disk.

Unidata does not currently supply Windows-based software that can
be used for display/analysis of NLDN lightning data.  We do, however,
provide two Unix-based application packages that support these
data: GEMPAK and McIDAS-X.  The University of Washington is already
licensed for both of these application packages, so you can get access
to them if you so choose.

>Thanks for your help.
>
>Sincerely,
>Bob Holzworth