20000502: unirec Sun monitor replacement; unirec replacement specs

>From: Denise Laitsch <address@hidden>

Denise, et. al.,

We shipped a replacement Sun monitor for the unirec machine (Sun SPARC 20)
yesterday by UPS ground, so you should be receiving it early next week.

We have included a pre-paid return shipping label for you to use to
send us the monitor that is failing.

Would someone there let me know when the monitor arrives, is installed,
and is working?  Thanks...

Finally, in the next few days, we will be getting a bid on a dual
processor (700 Mhz or better) Intel machine with approx. 200 GB of
hardware Raid (IBM 10000 rpm units); up to 4 GB of RAM; dual network
capability; etc.  This is the kind of system (may not be the exact one)
that we are considering as replacement for the current unirec box.

Before purchasing the replacement for unirec, I need to know a few more
things:

o how is Unidata-Wisconsin archived data restored to unirec right now

o does the current unirec box have a tape drive attached to it?  If so,
  how (SCSI, etc.).  If not, is the data read off of tape across the local
  network

o is the machine on a UPS of some kind

o is there anything that is unusual about the configuration of the
  current unirec machine that we should be aware of before purchasing
  a replacement

Thanks in advance for any additional information you can provide.

Tom