20000403: NWS makes raw McIDAS images available free by ADDE (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
>NOAAPORT GINI AREA

Jeff,

>  Hi Tom, we recently got our own GOES-8 and GOES-10 NOAAPORT stuff going
>using a custom-built linux box running our own ingestion software. We are
>getting ready to go live with the data, including a 1-km visible section
>zoomed in on any city, check out
>http://www.wunderground.com/satellite/a/b/US/CO/Boulder.html if you're
>interested.

Very nice!

>We are not really using the Wisconsin ingestor machine we
>bought anymore, except as a backup.

Hmm...  OK, this is interesting to know.

>   SO, we are probably not interested in supplying the IDD with GINI data,
>since the bandwidth costs would probably be excessive.

Fair enough.  Not to try and convince you otherwise, but the idea was to
provide the data through the McIDAS ADDE server.  This kind of on-demand
access _might_ be less than the IDD concept of sending out as much data
as possible all of the time (but, then again, it might not :-).  I
am trying to identify enough participating IDD sites that have access
to GINI imagery to "spread the load" across the country.

>However, it might
>be worthwhile if we can keep the monthly costs below $500, and the sysyem
>we set up provides us with the capability to get backup GINI imagery
>should our ingest box fail (we currently pay $700/megabit/month for
>bandwidth).

OK, I will bring this up at our next staff meeting.

>   We would still be happy to participate in supplying the IDD with the
>FOS data, though, since this was the original deal we worked out with
>Alden in return for getting a cut-rate Wisconsin ingestor system.

OK.

>  Here is the info from my script I used to use to grab the free MciDAS
>area files from NASA. They have GOES8, GOES10, and Meteosat and GMS data.

I see from your FTP script below, that the site you were referring to
was NASA/MSFC.  I have been in touch with Anthony Guillory regarding the
possibility of them opening up access to their holdings through ADDE
(they already run ADDE and make the data available internally and to
select outside entities).

>I have found the  AREA files to be of limited usefulness for commercial
>purposes, they are often unavailable on weekends, and the updating can be
>delayed by up to 2 hours.

I agree.  The imagery at MSFC would mainly be useful for research purposes.

>The GOES-8 data is usually only lagged 30
>minutes, while the GOES-10 data is lagged up to 2 hours. This morning, I
>note that the GOES-8 data has not been updated in 6 hours, and the GOES-10
>data is 1 hour old. I can send more detailed info on how they get the
>data, etc if you are interested.
>
> ftp -n << endftp  > ${dir}4km.log
>open geo.msfc.nasa.gov
>user anonymous address@hidden
>prompt
>bin
>cd Weather/GOES-8/McIDAS_areas/ir5/4km/
>lcd ${dir}
>dir
>quit
>endftp
>set toget=`egrep "16.ir5.ara.Z|44.ir5.ara.Z|48.ir5.ara.Z" ${dir}4km.log |
>tail -1 | cut -c56-100`
>echo "Getting ${toget}"
>
>Anthony Guillory
>address@hidden
>
>has been helpful answering my questions about the data.

Thanks for the information!

>Jeff
> Dr. Jeff Masters (address@hidden)                           (  )
> Chief Meteorologist                              /\ Home of the       (    )
> The Weather Underground, Inc.               /\  /  \  /\       /\    (      )
> Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3605            ______/              /  \/    \_   \\\\\
> 734-994-8824 (voice)                           Weather Underground      \`\`\
> 734-994-8919 (fax)                         http://www.wunderground.com

Tom