20000323: GOES data downlink

>From: Richard Clark <address@hidden>

Rich,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get to this.

>I received this message from a friend here in Lancaster who works for the
>county. I know this isn't your purview but can you help me with a response
>to him.

I'll try...

>It is my understanding that for satellite downlinks (not IDD), that
>the software is going to be vendor specific.

Right.  Unisys distributes WXP for use with its NOAAPORT reception system.
In looking at the GINI imagery that the Unisys system is ingesting, I
can see that they are changing the first part of every image, the
so called Product Identification Block.  This change was unexpected
for me as I installed my McIDAS ADDE server code on Jim Koermer's
FreeBSD system at Plymouth State College.  I had to redo my server code
to handle the differences in the Unisys-ingested GINI imagery and that
gathered by AWIPS.

>We looked into Hughes awhile
>back and I remember that they supplied software "handle" the downlink, but
>I'm not sure if this was also analysis and display software as well, or just
>what was needed to bring the data to a PC.

I am not positive that all vendors that provide NOAAPORT downlink boxes
also provide analysis software, but I can say that if they don't it would
be a big mistake.  By the way, the list of companies that are in the
NOAAPORT "business" can be found in:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/manu_lst.shtml

The references in this page include contact information, but, for the
most part, no web page links.

>I'd appreciate any light you can shed on this issue.

I have an additional comment that I include mixed in with Jay's query
below.

>Rich

I believe that Jay's first question is probably answered by the URL
I provided above.

As far as being easy to georeference the data, the answer is that since
the GINI images in NOAAPORT are remapped to "well known" model grid
projections, then yes it is easier to georeference than the original
GOES projections.

>I'm doing an evaluation for NASA of a NY research center that seems to have
>been duped by a vendor....
>
>Jay Parrish, PhD, PG
>Director
>Lancaster County GIS Dept.