20000118: CIMSS products and BoM radar composites

>From: Russ Dengel <address@hidden>

Russ,

>How You doing?

Good.  It was nice to get back from Long Beach; work for a day; and then
have 3 days off (I worked Monday, however).

>I figured I'd better start this while the iron is hot. Can you give
>me a ball park figure of how many and what kinds of products
>you would like in the first go around with this stuff?

For the _very_ first attempt, I think we should start with one product
and inject it in an EXP (EXPerimental) stream that only we (the UPC)
can get.

>Also ... please detail exactly what format you want the images
>in, delivery method,  a time table (when you would be ready to
>"handle" them) and what extra info you will need.

I need to work with Chiz on getting his PNG compression stuff working
(it already does work; that is how we were transferring GINI images)
on both ends (i.e., injection and receipt).  This would mean that we
need to get you (SSEC) an executable that compresses an image and
have you and/or I (preferably you or Chad) get a procedure working
for:

o getting the product from CIMSS
o compressing it with our PNG compression
o injecting it into the unidata.ssec.wisc.edu LDM queue in the EXP stream
o us requesting it from you
o us decoding it
o me getting a decoder working that deals with the routing table (for
  postprocessing)

>Its my guess that each of these has a specific enhancement table
>and a text file explaining the product (uses and abuses) as well
>as a disclaimer.

I agree.  We should make the enhancements available in both McIDAS and
GEMPAK formats (my job).  We definitely need disclaimers about what the
data is; how it was produced; what it is intended for; and what it
should _NOT_ be used for (i.e., operational uses since they are
research products).

>Add any questions you have and I'll coordinate this with Ackerman.

Sounds good.

On a separate topic, I put AREA files that contains the BoM national
radar composite out on our anonymous FTP site:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
directory: pub/mcidas

The files are:

o AREA1230 - BoM national composite with Lambert Conformal secant nav added
o AREA1231 - BoM regional composite with RADR nav added

You can display the images, draw a map on them in McIDAS, and see how
badly the current navs match the Azimuthal Equdistant Oblique
projection that the Australians are using (use MAP NAME=OUTLAUST to
draw the maps).

This should give you a starting point for doinking around with the RADR
projection like we discussed in Long Beach.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Tue Jan 18 12:04:56 2000

re: CIMSS products
OK, I passed your email on to Ackerman and Achtor. I asked them
to come up with a suitable product we can use as the guinea pig.

re: ABoM radar composites

Got em. I see what I can do with these beasts.

Russ