20000114: Polar Image and GRIB decoding

>From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>

Jennie,

>At the AMS I talked with Steve Ackerman about getting some of
>the POES data from them (Wisconsin) during the TOPSE field
>campaign. He volunteered that if I send him the location of some
>sites, they will strip out POES LAC images for me.  But since
>I returned home,  I looked at the AUDIT trail of the Antarctic
>Composite:
>
>TFILE did OPEN on window 0
>IMGLIST MYDATA/IMAGES.198 FORM=AUDIT
>Image file directory listing for:MYDATA/IMAGES
> Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
>     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
> --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
> 198  G-9 IMG       14 JAN 00014  00:00:00   -77   64 4
>Date   Time         Audit trail
>----- ------ ----------------------------
>00014 22618  imgoper.k LOCAL/DMSP.4 LOCAL/GMS5.4 LOCAL/MET5.4 LOCAL/GOES8.4 LO
> CA
>             L/GOES9.4 LOCAL/COMP.1 FORM=CMIN SIZE=ALL SCALE=0 255 0 255 ZERO=
> DA
>             TA
>
>00014 22622  imgcha.k LOCAL/COMP.1 SS=72 STYPE=VISR BAND=4 TIME=00:00
>   14  22623 imgcopy.k LOCAL/COMP.1 LOCAL/COMPOSITE SIZE=ALL
>00014  31025 IMGCOPY AMRCCOMP UNIDATA/U1 STYPE=VISR MAG=-2 CYCLE=3:00 TIME=0:0
> 0
>             0:40
>
>IMGLIST: done
>TFILE CLOSE
>
>I wondered, is there already an Arctic Polar Composite image
>being made (like the Antacrtic Composite), that maybe we
>(eg., Unidata Comm.) just aren't picking up??

At one time (probably about the timeframe that I had talks about getting
the CIMSS products into the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream) I talked with
someone at SSEC (can't remember who) about the possibility of a North
Polar product like the Antarctic one.  Since the enthusiasm for the
Antarctic product has been so low in the Unidata community, I did not
feel that it was very important to pursue acquisition of a N. Polar
one (if it exists).  I will be corresponding with Russ Dengel about
CIMSS products in the next several days, so I will ask him if he
knows if such a beast is being created routinely.

>Before I ask them if
>they could make one, I thought I would make sure it isn't something
>they are already doing and I just never noticed it.

Good thought.

>So, just thought I would check with you guys first.

On a separate topic, I spoke to Chad about your GRIB decoding problem
at the hockey game.  He had a number of questions that I couldn't answer
(i.e. you should have been there), and he wanted one or more files
that don't decode correctly.  Can I get some?

>Thanks.
>Jennie

Later...

Tom