RE: 19990714: Redbook Graphic-lightning (fwd)

Here's the answer to Gilbert's question about use of the Redbook Graphic
lightning data.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Thu, Jul 15, 1999 11:41 AM -0400
From: John Jalickee <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: RE: 19990714: Redbook Graphic-lightning

Hi Linda,

The distribution of all data and lightning products is restricted by the
terms and conditions of the contract that NWS has with GAI.  As you know
GAI supplies Government users through this contract as well as to a broad
base of other customers on a commercial basis.  In general terms, the
underlying restriction is that the Government users cannot distribute
lightning information in any way that would interfere with their market.
For example, if NWS posted real-time lightning data on a public web page,
some of GAI's paying customers might stop their subscriptions and just use
this free information instead.

The contract, for example, contains the following statement:  "Distribution
of data to any point external to the facility, for use by or to other
Federal agencies, except for authorized users, as defined within this
proposal, is not permitted."

It may be possible to make other arrangements with GAI.  Our GAI contract
contact is Bill Geitz, 1-800-283-4557, address@hidden.

Always feel free to call or email me at 301-713-1818,
address@hidden.

Jack