19990608: syslogd still not logging to LDM log file

>From: George Fuentes <address@hidden>

George (or other),

>I restarted syslogd around 11:00 this AM and just did it again. In both cases
>syslogd indicates that it restarted, but in both cases your ldmd.log is not
>recording anything.

I looked at /etc/syslog.conf on dataproc and see that the entries for
local0.debug, *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none,
and *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none;local0.none
are incorrect.  The whitespace between these selectors need to be separated
by tabs from their actions:

# Formats: selector<TAB>action
#          selector<TAB>filter<TAB>action

I think that the messages in /var/adm/SYSLOG are also telling us this:

Jun  9 16:19:10 3F:dataproc syslogd: unknown priority name "debug
/usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log"
Jun  9 16:19:10 3F:dataproc syslogd: unknown priority name "none
/dev/console"
Jun  9 16:19:10 3F:dataproc syslogd: unknown priority name "none
/var/adm/messages"

After the spaces are turned into tabs and syslogd is sent a HUP, LDM logging
should start working correctly.

>FYI, in case I am on vacation, and so you get faster response, send email to
>ssg@ncar and this way someone in the group will reply.

Super.  Since I don't know if you are on vacation at this moment, I am
sending this to address@hidden as well.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Jun 10 08:35:39 1999
>From: Pamela Gillman <address@hidden>
>To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
>CC: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 19990608: syslogd still not logging to LDM log file

Tom,

I took at look at the syslog.conf, and added the proper tabs.  I've
restarted syslogd and it looks like you are starting to get output in
/usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  Let me know if there is anything else I
can do for you.

Pam