19990511: LDM data recovery system information (cont.)

>From: David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>

David,

>Sorry for the delay, I was waiting until I had time to write more,
>because I've thought about this alot.  See my first message
>back to ldm-users.

I looked at the message.  Thanks for the input.

>Your project has a great deal of potential.

We think so.  It is the first UPC step in implementing access to
retrospective data.  The Unidata steps, of course, are the work that
has been done by sites like the Universities of Illinois, Washington,
and Scripps Institute.

>I'm quite interested
>in the methods that would be used to deliver the requested data
>back to the end user and how they can make use of it on their end.

This is the part of the project that we were hoping could be leveraged
off of your existing work and/or thoughts on how things could be better.
As you may imagine, the UPC is a little short on man power right now,
so we have to be careful of how much we bite off.

Would it be possible for you to send me your pqact.conf file that is
used to file the products into your "archive" system?  Do you have any
overview documents on how directories are laid out, or is your
pqact.conf file your "blueprint"?  Also, do you provide just FTP
access, or have you developed a web interface to the same data
(Marshall Space Flight Center has both and they are both very useful)?
What would you do different in your system if you were starting from
scratch?  What would you keep the same?

As you can see, I have a lot of questions about the nitty-gritty of how
you are running your system.  The more input we have from you and others
doing the same sort of thing, the faster we can get something working
for the community.

Thanks in advance for your help/input...

Tom