Changes in NOAAPORT broadcast

> NOXX10 KWBC 221246                                              1999112 1248
> DATA MGT MESSAGE 04-99.2
> ATTN ALL USERS OF THE AWIPS/NOAAPORT DATASTREAM
> NWS IS MAKING ADJUSTMENTS TO COMMUNICATIONS PATHS BETWEEN THE
> NWSTG AND THE AWIPS/NOAAPORT NETWORK CONTROL FACILITY /NCF/.
> ULTIMATELY THIS COULD REDUCE SOME DATA DELAYS AT PEAK TRAFFIC
> PERIODS.  WHILE THESE ADJUSTMENTS ARE BEING MADE THE DELIVERY
> TIME OF SOME PRODUCTS MAY VARY SLIGHTLY.  THE PRODUCTS AFFECTED
> ARE THE AVN  MRF  NGM  ETA AND OTHER GRIB ENCODED PRODUCTS.
> THESE ADJUSTMENTS SHOULD BE COMPLETE BY THE END OF APRIL.  WE
> ARE CLOSELY MONITORING THE CHANGES TO AVOID ANY NEGATIVE IMPACT.
> NOTE  THIS MESSAGE WILL BE REPEATED DURING THIS ADJUSTMENT PERIOD.
> IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT
> FRED BRANSKI
> SENIOR DATA MANAGER

Hello Fred,

Beginning Wednesday April 21, we at SSEC and many of our users began
noting some changes in the MRF/AVN and RUC products on the NOAAPORT
broadcast. Due to the vagueness of the above administrative message, I
am unsure if the changes we're seeing are related.

The problem we are seeing is in the way the MRF/AVN and RUC products
are categorized in the Category and Sub-category of the Communications
Control Block (CCB) in the NOAAPORT protocol. It appears as though the
category and subcategory of these GRIB products have changed from
category 2 subcategory 1 to category 2 subcategory 0. Category 2
subcategory 0 is defined in table 7-2 of the 'Standard
Telecommunication Procedures for Weather Data Exchange' as a 'WMO ASCII
data code form'. The SSEC NOAAport receiver uses the
category/subcategory parameters to split the feed into a binary stream
and a text stream. The changes caused us great problems and until we
located the problem, prevented over 100 universities from receiving
this model data.

We are also seeing this problem with a number of additional products.
These products contain binary data, but are flagged as ASCII text in
the CCB category/subcategory.

The CCB category/subcategory is a documented piece of the NOAAPORT
protocol.  Developers of NOAAPORT receiving stations rely on this
documentation and their represented data values when developing
software. It is important that these values be correct. In our case, it
is very important that only ASCII text data be defined as
category/subcategory 1/10 or 2/0. Category/sub-category 2/1 represents
WMO GRIB code forms. Why aren't all GRIB products categorized by this
category and subcategory in the NOAAPORT broadcast?

I was hoping you could look into the cause of these changes and correct
the values placed in the category/subcategory in the CCB.

Below are the WMO headers of all products in addition to the RUC,AVN,
and MRF that we must treat special because they contain binary data
bytes but are categorized as 2/0 WMO ASCII.

Thank you for looking into this, your help is greatly appreciated.

-Chad

--
Chad W. Johnson                           E-mail: address@hidden
Programmer/Meteorologist                  Voice: (608) 265-5292

SFUS41
SDUS99
SDXX99
SDUS41