19990108: ldm data feed

>From: Ken Hubbard <address@hidden>

Ken-

>At the University of Nebraska, we are pulling some of the NWS products off
>of the LDM feed via UNIDATA.  My colleague, Mark Anderson, works directly
>with your group.  We pull down many of the station observations everyday.
>There are some station observations that never seem to appear on the LDM
>although other sources suggest this data is transmitted to NWS in near-real
>time.

Can you specify which stations you are not receiving?  We can check to
see if we are getting them or not.  Did this problem just start or
have you never gotten these stations.

>That is the background for my enquiry.  My question is:  Do you know which
>side of the NWS Gateway the LDM originates on and whether or not all
>products (all headers) are being handled by the LDM??

The current source of the observations is the NOAAPORT feed which should
encompass all of the products that are on the Family of Services (DDS, PPS,
IDS) plus additional datasets.  The change from a FOS source to NOAAPORT
occurred on December 17, so if that is when you stopped receiving these
observations, then that would help us track down the problem.  NOAAPORT
comes right out of the NWS Gateway and is distributed via satellite
so if the obs come out of the gateway on NOAAPORT then you should
be getting them.

Please let us know which stations and types of observations you are
not able to get and we can look into this further.

Don Murray