Re: 20020304: COMET Case Studies (fwd)

Hello David,

Yes, there are two versions of the cases, but GEMPAK and GARP are
virtually the same...the other version is the netCDF AWIPS version.

The COMET cases are in general about 2 GB in size...some larger some
smaller, so you would want to have sufficient hard drive to handle the
data. Other system requirements are far less stringent, but the faster the
CPU and the more memory you have the quicker the images will load and
process...obviously.

Currently the data is available either via FTP (slow process) or via an
8mm tape..we will have the data on CD's in the coming month, so it would
be helpful to have access to an 8mm tape drive for the present and a CD
drive in the future.

GEMPAK (GARP) software is freely available at:

http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/index.html

and the case study project is located at:

http://www.joss.ucar.edu/cometCases/

with the list of available cases located at:

http://www.joss.ucar.edu/cometCases/avail.html

I am located in room 1208 first floor, west wing, across from JOSS if you
would like any more help, or just sling me an e-mail...

Thank you and welcome aboard!

-Jeff