Converting images (fwd)

Hi Kevin,

Some more tid-bits...

<snip>
From: "Dean, Kelly" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: RE: convert AREA files to HDF files

 I work with McIDAS AREA files in IDL all the time. You may want to
visit...

  http://www.cira.colostate.edu/special/csuidl/IDLMcIDAS.htm

 One of my old read routines was posted on comp.lang.idl-pvwave....

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=McIDAS&hl=en&rnum=1&selm=332E1B8C.41C6
%40bom.gov.au

 However, getting it into ENVI maybe a different issue. I considered
writing a short program to convert McIDAS area files into the ENVI format
-- 2-D array with a separate text file. It looks simple enough, but I
think the image needs to be reampped into a Mercator Projection so you can
get ENVI to navigate it for you.

 If you can get the above code to read McIDAS AREA files into the IDL part
of ENVI, there are ENVI's programable features to get the image data into
the ENVI package, but it may take alot of work, unless you an ENVI expert.

 RSI has been working on a McIDAS input routine for ENVI. You may want to
check with them to see how far along they are with that.

Kelly Dean
Coordinator
Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, Colorado
<snip>

Cheers,