Re: eta gempak files (fwd)

Hi Tom,

I feel your pain.

When using the FTP option, CODIAC assigns "unique" names to the files to
avoid confusion. This is a real problem for software that is looking for
specific file names. I have used awk scripts, etc. to reaname these files.

What we have done in the past..(a real pain, I know!) Is to use gdinfo to
evaluate the files and then re-name them appropriately.

i.e.

GEMPAK-GDINFO>l
 GDFILE   = /home/jweber/test/jwebeAAA0z2sOw
 LSTALL   = YES
 OUTPUT   = T
 GDATTIM  = list
 GLEVEL   =
 GVCORD   =
 GFUNC    =
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>r

 GRID FILE: /home/jweber/test/jwebeAAA0z2sOw

 GRID NAVIGATION:
     PROJECTION:          LCC
     ANGLES:                25.0   -95.0    25.0
     GRID SIZE:           93  65
     LL CORNER:              12.19   -133.46
     UR CORNER:              57.29    -49.38

 GRID ANALYSIS BLOCK:
      UNKNOWN ANALYSIS TYPE

 Number of grids in file:   154

 Maximum number of grids in file:   1500

 List of times:

 001121/0000F000

Enter a time or type EXIT:

After getting all the file times and runs from this process they can be
renamed. I am sure this could be scripted, but if this is your only
exposure to the FTP route it may not be worth the time sink. Or....you can
order the complete tape, with the runs in GRIB, and pass the GEMPAK
decoders over the GRIB files...

Or even quicker and easier, order via ftp the GRIB formatted files then
cat them and run them through dcgrib2 to generate appropriate .gem files

Given you have GEMPAK , I would suggest ordering the grib data and then
processing them to .gem files via dcgrib, or preferably, dcgrib2.

And if none of these options work or make sense, I -may- be able to do the
conversions today for you and make them available via ftp.

I apologize for this inconveniance and, trust me. I have been trying to
work around this issue in CODIAC for years...maybe in the next release.

Look forward to your feedback,

-Jeff