[AWIPS #MKI-478833]: edex installation question

> Hello,
>
> I hope I am not missing something very obvious, but I two questions/problems
> with the EDEX installation documentation and my installation of it.
>
> 1. I'm trying to install EDEX server on CentOS 6.8 by following the install
> guide given at:
> http://unidata.github.io/awips2/docs/install/install-edex.html.   The
> installEDEX .sh script errors out during the groupinstall phase stating
> netcdf is needed, the yum error being:
>
> Error: Package: awips2-database-16.1.5-1.noarch (awips2repo)
> Requires: netcdf
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>
> I didn't see netcdf listed as a prerequisite in any of the install docs.
> Must this be dome manually? If so, could you add that to the documentation?

It used to be that a netcdf RPM was included in our AWIPS release, but enough
conflicts were seen, especially with epel repositories, that I removed the
AWIPS netcdf RPM and let yum resolve it itself.  Which didn't happen on your
system.  For now, you can manually install the dependency with the command

rpm -ivh
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/yum/awips2_15.1.3/x86_64/netcdf-4.1.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm

and then run installEDEX.sh again.

> 2. Looking through the install doc from the training workshop given at:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e3uFh9xVn-RjRP4d5rvU5kvGpfW2_Wpz9nZQoIuVraI/edit?pref=2&pli=1
>  shows that the ldm user is being manually created, which is not shown in the
> other installation guide.  Which guide is correct?  Do none of the rpm's in
> the groupinstall  create the ldm user?

That is an admittedly old document that I am going to remove, and replace with
links to the new User Manual at http://unidata.github.io/awips2/ - and the
updated install document is available at
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/docs/install/install-edex.html

-Michael

Ticket ID: MKI-478833
Department: Support AWIPS