[AWIPS #VHZ-342350]: AWIPS II Question

> My name is Fabian Palokaj and I am with DTE Energy Trading. The reason
> that I am contacting you today is that I am looking to implement the
> AWIPS II application onto one of our RHEL6 server.
>
> I have a few questions in regards to application installation and support:
>
> What support options do you have for this application in regards to help
> with the installation, training, etc...?

Hello Fabian,

Unidata offers online documentation for installing and maintaining the Unidata
AWIPS II system, located at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/#doc

We also offer a yearly training workshop, a three day course which will take
place in late July (dates to be announced soon).

Online support (address@hidden) is offered primarily for US-based education and
research organizations, but I don't hesitate to help private enterprise or
individuals if the workload does not become a burden and there are benefits to
our core community.  Custom-tailored and/or high demand support for private
business is not something I can offer.

> Is there a CAVE client for Windows and where would I get that?

There is not a CAVE client for Unidata AWIPS II available at this time, but
it's something we are exploring.  Part versions of the CAVE client delivered by
NWS/Raytheon had limited functionality, only offering the D2D perspective and
not the National Centers Perspective.

> Does the LDM and EDEX Server need to be installed on the same machine?

Technically no, but Unidata AWIPS II is delivered for standalone installation,
and the groupinstall (yum groupinstall awips2-server) installs all EDEX
services and the LDM on the same machine.  However, if you were to install the
LDM on a separate machine, and make available a network-mounted file system
which can be written to and read by both your LDM machine and the EDEX machine,
that setup will work. It just requires more work on your part.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO

Ticket ID: VHZ-342350