[GEMPAK #JSP-918519]: Support For GEMPAK

> I am the software lead for the USMC's METMF(R) NEXGEN, a mobile sensor
> and product generation platform.  We currently use GEMPAK v5.10.1 on
> our ten deployed systems.
>
> Have you ever run into the need to provide security patches for this
> product?
>
> If so, how would I secure said patches for our military systems?

Hi Mark,

This is the first I've been asked this question.  I have never had to release a
GEMPAK patch or update strictly for security, and frankly I can't speak about
the security of GEMPAK for military systems.  NAWIPS/GEMPAK is developed and
used by NCEP, and Unidata's role is to re-distribute GEMPAK to the University
community for academic and research use. You may want to contact the NCO
Systems Integration Branch at NCEP ( http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/sib/ ) to get
a better answer to you question.

For now Unidata supports both GEMPAK and AWIPS II, and AWIPS II is not being
offered as a replacement for GEMPAK, rather as the National Centers transition
from NAWIPS/GEMPAK to AWIPS II, Unidata will help our member sites transition
as well.

Michael James
Unidata Program Center
Boulder, CO