[AWIPS #ZVG-194465]: Ncep ftp

> I was interested in ingesting data via ftp for several model datasets not
> available on ldm. Will edex ingest this data or do I need a specific
> configuration to ingest the data?

Justin,

EDEX has manual data ingest capabilities where you write files to a directory -
/awips2/data/edex/manual/ - and the *filename* is matched against regular
expressions (by comparison, using the LDM and edexBridge will match either the
filename or the product header).  EDEX grib ingest is configured to match any
file with .*grib.* in the name, so if you drop grib files to
/awips2/edex/data/manual/ they will be recognized by the grib decoder plugin.
That part is easy.

After that it becomes difficult for an end user to configure the rest.  Though
the data is in the database, confirmed by querying using "psql metadata", the
D2D and NCP localization contains XML files which specify available models,
which will need to be updated.  The user can do this in the Localization
perspective, but for complete inclusion in D2D and NCP, similar to existing
models, I as developer should add the entries and create a new CAVE build
update.

This is definitely not a user-friendly way of adding models to AWIPS II.

So, your idea of using ftp is fine, you can drop files to the EDEX manual
directory, but in order to make use of those models, Unidata needs to update
CAVE.  If you can tell me what models you would like added, I can check if EDEX
has the required grid projection files and grid ID/names, and put them into the
next release.

-Michael

Ticket ID: ZVG-194465
Department: Support AWIPS