[AWIPS #HUI-169459]: Questions about AWIPS II

Hi Chris,

This one got lost in the cracks, but since AWIPS II is still in development I
figured a response is still relevant.

> Currently we run our LDM on a large disk array server and than share the
> data to (~90) Linux workstations via NFS.  We use NMAP and GARP in class,
> and to a lesser extent the IDV.  It looks like the AWIPS II software
> will be able to access data via a NFS shared disk, right?

AWIPS II should be thought of as separate server and client components.  The
client sends a request to the server, and the server retrieves metadata and
data to return to the client.  So only the EDEX server need direct access to
the drive used for processed/decoded data.  A CAVE workstation does NOT need
direct access to this drive.

> Does the software have to be locally installed on each workstation,
> or can it too be delivered via NFS?

I'm not sure about this one yet.  in theory it should work to have CAVE
installed centrally, located on an NFS drive, run by each user, since all of
the important "cached" data from a CAVE session is saved to a user's home
directory (~/caveData/).  in theory, because we haven't tried this yet.

> Does a user have to run the software under the user "awips" or is is
> like nmap2 where the user can launch it under their own login.

Users are able to run CAVE as their own accounts.

> Is there more/less/about the same demands on data processing from a
> NOAAPort data feed?  (This question relates to CPU, memory, and disk
> space needs.)

I would say so, however disk space required is a lot higher because the
processed data is stored in HDF5, I believe uncompressed.

> Are the recommended minimums (8GB memory/100 GB disk/256 MB video) for
> the workstation true minimums or are these adequate functional guidelines?

I have a standalone server with 6 GB RAM and it seems to work adequately, but I
can't answer definitively yet.

> If the OS is 32-bit, why is there a suggestion for 16GB of memory?

RHEL/CentOS 32-bit machines can use more than 4 GB memory with a PAE enabled
kernel.

> The web site says Red Hat 5.6, what about Red Hat 6.x?

RHEL 6 will not be supported until a release in Fall 2013.

> What about 64-bit Red Hat?  We are already running 64-bit Red Hat 5.x.
> I know it says that 64-bit pieces are under development, but I don't
> think we can go back to a 32-bit OS now.

* EDEX server must be 32-bit.
* CAVE workstations can be 32 or 64-bit.
* EDEX 64-bit server is due in early 2014.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best wishes for a happy and safe holiday season!
>
> Chris Herbster

Hope this helps, sorry for the very long delay.

Michael James
Unidata

Ticket ID: HUI-169459
Department: Support AWIPS